- Glennon Doyle Melton is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium this July!
- Schedule for Brave Girl Symposium! It’s Gonna Be Epic!!
- Kelly Rae Roberts is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Kolleen Harrison is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Christine Mason Miller is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Orly Avineri is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Erin Faith Allen is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Brave Girl Symposium…breathtaking sneak-peek photos of the location!
- Jen Gray is Speaking at The Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- Rachel Awes is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
- It’s time to announce the SYMPOSIUM SPEAKERS!!!!!
- Behind the scenes of making BIG DREAMS come true….What it’s like to plan a BRAVE GIRL SYMPOSIUM (the one you are all invited to)
- Kallie Maughan is speaking at the Brave Girl Symposium in July!
There I was…knee-deep in diapers, sleep deprived and hadn’t showered for so many days that I’d stopped counting… when I came across the exact words my tired mother-soul needed. I didn’t know the author (yet), but her words felt like rain on my parched soul. She had me laughing about things that had lots their humor in the drudgery of every-day living. She made me feel sane again and completely validated the way I felt.
Reading her words again all these years later still makes me laugh and brings back the smell of the spit-up-infused shirt I was wearing that day. Here’s what I read…
“…last week, a woman approached me in the Target line and said the following: “Sugar, I hope you are enjoying this. I loved every single second of parenting my two girls. Every single moment. These days go by so fast.”
At that particular moment, Amma had swiped a bra from the cart and arranged it over her sweater, while sucking a lollipop undoubtedly found on the ground. She also had three shop-lifted clip-on neon feathers stuck in her hair. She looked exactly like a contestant from Toddlers and Tiaras. A losing contestant. I couldn’t find Chase anywhere, and Tish was sucking the pen from the credit card machine WHILE the woman in front of me was trying to use it. And so I just looked at the woman, smiled and said, “Thank you. Yes. Me too. I am enjoying every single moment. Especially this one. Yes. Thank you.”
The blog post I read was equally hilarious and touching all at the same time. I loved every single word. What I kept thinking as I read it was…. “who IS this woman…and how does she know exactly what my life is like?!”
I found out her name was Glennon Doyle Melton. Of course I was a fan from that exact day. She is so real. She doesn’t hide the ugly parts of life, or the hard parts. She has a way with words that is comforting and validating and friendly. She is soulful and thoughtful and loving. She’s not the kind of person who watches what’s going on and sits back as a passive commentator. She’s a mover.
What she wrote about the refugee situation that our world is facing right now turned thousands of other people into movers, too. She led the way to a miracle at the end of the year, and is gearing up for another one right now. I dare you to read what she wrote about refugees in December without jumping out of your chair and finding something to do about what is going on. What powerful words. Read them here: On the Darkest Day, Bring the Light
Then there’s the post she wrote when she started getting advice on how to update her kitchen…. a must-read. Read it here: Give Me Gratitude or Give Me Debt
Of course she also gave a life-changing Ted Talk called Lessons from the Mental Hospital. Watch it here.
And you guys. She’s speaking at our Brave Girl Symposium this July. She’ll be there. In person. The real her. To tell us her stories and inspire us with her words.
I can’t wait to hear what she has to say.
I hope you’ll be there, too! (Register here, if you haven’t already!)