All about the SoulBook Gathering Experience…why, who, & how
Handy Links to Everything SoulBook
Free Materials to Download
Free Basic SoulBook PDFs for women, men, kids, and teens/preteens, in versions for making SoulBooks for yourself or for someone else.
Pdfs include instructions, supply list, & SoulBook words and phrases downloadable FREE from our Shoppe. (Does not include the collage images, backgrounds, frames, borders, etc. found in the optional Workbooks)
Free Bonus PDF
Optional Materials to Purchase
Workbooks: Complete with instructions, supply lists, SoulBook words & phrases, collage images and backgrounds specific to women, men, teens/preteens, or kids! Browse & order here
Supplements: pre-cut cardboard, collage packs, etc. Browse & order here
Video of Melody showing what’s in the women’s materials.
Making a SoulBook (videos by Melody Ross, from our free online course in Brave Girl U)
Rules of the Red Carpet (found at the bottom of this page…the secret ingredient that makes these Gatherings so unique and amazing)
Connecting and Gathering with other SoulBookers
FaceBook Group (for posting and connecting …it’s private so just ‘request membership’ when you get there.)
GATHERING DIRECTORY (find or post a Gathering so others can find you)
Add a Gathering to the Directory (anyone can host!)
A Great Option…
SoulBook Gathering Experiences with Certified Instructors!
There are Gathering Experiences being held in limited areas in the US, Canada, UK, and Germany hosted and facilitated by Certified Soul Restoration Instructors who have been personally trained by Melody Ross.
Remember, whether or not there’s a Certified Instructor-hosted SoulBook Event in your area, you can host your own, join another Gathering, or participate online!
Do you feel the disconnection of the world right now? The fear?
What if you could feel different? What if the world could?
We asked ourselves these questions, and decided on an experiment. This short video will show you what we did and how it made us feel…and then we’ll tell you how we are making this a worldwide movement of gathering – in person or online – to create what our souls need most right now.
You are invited to join the SoulBook Gathering Experience…it’s for all of us…it’s for YOU.
We’re inviting everyone to gather as friends, families, neighbors, fellow human beings, in homes around the world to….
- connect in ways that bring us together instead of divide us
- experience togetherness and help each other along
- talk about matters of the soul and rest from the noise of the world
- use our hands and our hearts to do some creative work making SoulBooks to remind ourselves of important things we may have forgotten
…and we’re making it easy for anyone to join us. We hope you will say YES!
If this sounds like just what you need, keep reading, because on this page is everything you need to know.
The SoulBook Gathering Experience: Details and FAQs
WAYS YOU CAN PARTICIPATE: You can make a SoulBook for yourself and/or for someone else (with a group or on your own). Here’s how:
- FIND a gathering in your area (some are even hosted by our Certified Instructors!) Directory of Gatherings (you’ll also find TBD listings for SoulBookers looking for others in their areas)
- HOST a gathering in your own home (add a Gathering to our Directory)
- Make a SoulBook on your own and… (scroll down to see what a SoulBook is)
- GATHER online in our FaceBook Group
- KEEP GATHERING (if you want)
WHEN: Any time that works for you
WHAT: Gather in homes (or any other place) to sit around a table together with some simple art supplies to make SoulBooks. You can even do this by yourself at home, and then join us online for connecting and sharing and talking! (Guidelines for Hosting a SoulBook Gathering)
WHAT’S A SOULBOOK? SoulBook is a soulful artsy project by Melody Ross that is fun to make and deeply meaningful and personal at the same time. You’ll create a beautiful chunky SoulBook full of all of the things your beautiful heart knows, but sometimes forgets. You’ll make it out of inexpensive and easy-to-find cardboard and tape and fill it with reminders of important things you may have forgotten about yourself…things we don’t ever want to forget. You can make your SoulBook as simple or as artsy and creative as you like! You can make you SoulBook with our FREE download and simple supplies and items you probably already have around the house, or if you like you can order our beautiful workbook and other materials to make it easy.
- Supply List and Printable PDF Free PDFS (including supply lists) for women, men, teens/preteens, and kids
- SoulBook Free Online Course (this will give you an idea of what we’ll be making, how we’ll be making it, and why…with videos by Melody)
- Work Book and Supplements (optional…see Melody’s video showing what’s in the BEAUTIFUL women’s workbook and supplement pack below. There are also workbooks for men, pre-teens/teens, and kids, along with other materials available in our Shoppe.)
- Get a Free BONUS PDF download just by filling out our Registration form for updates!
WHO: Anyone! We’ve made this as simple as possible so that anyone and everyone can be a part of it.
Nervous about gathering? The Red Carpet Rules make SOULBOOK GATHERINGS UNIQUELY WONDERFUL: Everyone who participates must agree to abide by the Rules of the Red Carpet. We’ve included them at the very bottom of this page so you can see what we mean. If you have EVER been in a gathering that seemed anything but safe and pleasant, you’re going to love the Rules of the Red Carpet!
The special FaceBook Group is going on RIGHT NOW! SoulBookers are meeting each other, finding people who live in their area, answering fun ‘Connecting Prompts’ and having all kinds of good times! COME ON OVER!
Want an extra-special experience? CERTIFIED SOUL RESTORATION INSTRUCTORS are planning SoulBook Gatherings! These special gatherings, hosted and facilitated by Certified Soul Restoration Instructors who have been personally trained by Melody Ross, are available in limited areas in the US, Canada, UK, and Germany. They facilitate discussions, teach you step by step how to make your SoulBook, supply you with a variety of art supplies and tools, and you can even (in some cases) purchase a SoulBook Workbook directly from them. Each CI is independent and plans their own events in their own way, so check out what’s available in your area (some are free and some have a small charge to cover food and so on). These events will be listed at the top of the SoulBook Gathering Experience Directory/Calendar (posted beginning on October 15). In many cases they will also list their Gatherings in the Certified Local Events section of our website.
WHAT SUPPLIES WILL I NEED?
- Every person will need either a Work Book or the free printed PDF along with some basic, easy to find supplies. The Supply List is lower down on this page.
- You can literally do this FREE! You can print the SoulBook PDF (called SoulBook Curriculum) for free. It has the basic text pages along with instructions. You could even reference the PDF and hand-write the sentences you want to put in your SoulBook if you don’t have access to a printer.
- You’ll also need 10 sheets of 6″ x 9″ cardboard, which you can easily cut from boxes you have on hand, or we have cardboard cut-to-fit available for you in our store.
- You can get a Free BONUS PDF download with even more beautiful collage pages just by filling out our Registration form for updates!
This video show exactly what’s in the optional Work Book, Supplemental Collage Pack, and Cardboard Pack:
- The optional WorkBook, Supplement, pre-cut Cardboard, and other beautiful materials are available in the Brave Girls Shoppe.
- You could even make your SoulBook out of a journal or notebook you already have.
- Get started gathering your supplies right away…it’s part of the fun!
HOW WILL I KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE SOULBOOK? There are instructions and supply lists in the printable PDF and in the Workbook. In addition, you can watch the online class videos in Brave Girl University for FREE. In these videos, Melody will show you exactly how to make your SoulBook, and you’ll see examples of other people making theirs in a wide variety of ways. You’ll see how easy (and fun) it is. 🙂
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PRINTABLE PDF AND ORDERING THE WORKBOOK? You can print the PDF for free, and it contains pages and pages of words and phrases for you to cut out and use in your SoulBook. (You’ll need to supply your own collage images from magazines, etc.) The SoulBook Workbook contains everything in the free PDF plus pages and pages of beautiful collage images for women and girls (of all ages and ethnicities) that have been specifically created for this project. There are versions specifically for women, men, preteens/teens, and kids. Workbooks are $30. Optional workbooks are $30.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE? Your gatherings can last an evening, or a few evenings, or a full day, or it might be something you want to get together to work on several times. It will probably take 1-2 hours to make your basic book, and then collaging and filling your book can take as long as you like. We gathered for about 6 hours on one day and went back for about 4 hours on two more day to finish. If you can only gather once, everyone will want to finish their books at home, and that is just fine, too! We hope you continue to work on them and gather for weeks and weeks! And guess what? People are loving making them so much that they are making a second book.
WHAT ABOUT SHARING? Before your Gathering Experience ends, sit together and show a few pages of your SoulBooks to each other, and share your thoughts and feelings about the experience. This is one of the most important parts of the SoulBook Gathering Experience…taking the time to talk with each other about things that are really important. Do this every time you meet…this is how we CONNECT and heal and help each other.
WHAT ARE SOME IDEAS FOR HOSTING? You could do do this as girlfriends, as a family activity (wouldn’t that be amazing?!), mothers & daughters, sisters, co-workers, a neighborhood, a church group, youth groups, at Senior Centers, support groups…you name it! We’ve done it with Brave Girls from 5-85+, and we’ve even had men who have made them (and LOVED doing it!). Have a potluck, hang some twinkle lights, cover some tables with paper and put on some music. Make it FUN! As a family activity, you could use the fabulous materials we’ve created for kids and preteens/teens. Print out additional images from the Internet, giving them a stack of magazines to cut pictures and words out of, and copy some photos of each of the family membersetc. It would be an incredibly fun and bonding family activity that you’d remember forever!
Download Melody’s Guidelines for Hosting a SoulBook Gathering
GATHERING DIRECTORY: Once you have your Gathering planned, we invite you to put it in our Directory on our website. Just go to this Registration Form that will collect all the information and create a real-time directory of all the Gatherings! In fact if you are just trying to find others in your area before you finalize your plans, you can post a Gathering in the directory with a date/time ‘To Be Determined’ so others in your area can connect with you and you can plan one together!
To stay updated and to get a Free Bonus SoulBook PDF with additional collage sheets, fill out this Registration Form.
Soul Book supply list
Every person will need either a Work Book or the free printed PDF along with some basic, easy to find supplies. The following list is specific to women’s SoulBooks…modify for different individuals as needed.
- Several small photos of yourself and your life printed on regular copy paper (just off of your home printer is great…make them 1” – 3” in size…) *these are ANY photos at any time in your life….anything that tells the story of YOU. We all love our families and friends…but remember this book is about YOU….so make sure you bring more photos of yourself than of your family and friends!
- 10 pieces of thick cardboard cut to 6” x 9” or 6″ x 6″. Not cardstock and not chipboard. Cut this with a utility knife from a cardboard box…it needs to be thick cardboard with corrugated cardboard in the middle…at least 1/8” thick (10-piece Cardboard Packs are available in our shop.)
- A few rolls of fabric tape, gaffer tape, or masking tape. You could substitute athletic/ bandaging fabric tape (found in the pharmacy section of most drugstores). You can paint or mod podge over it, so color/design don’t matter much.
- A roll of masking tape at least 1” wide
- A bottle of Mod Podge or other collage medium, either gloss or matte
- 3-5 colors of your favorite craft or artist acrylic paint (tube or bottle…doesn’t matter)
- Several paint brushes in different sizes (you will want a bigger brush to collage with, and 1 or more smaller brushes to paint with)
- A pair of scissors that you can use for paper and fabric
- A cheap putty knife, an old credit card, or something similar for smoothing
- A stash of your favorite scraps & treasures…
- An old white candle or Acrylic Sealer Spray – to rub or spray on your finished pages to keep them from sticking together
- Waxed paper to put between your pages while your book is a work in progress
Other things that would be lovely to have
- some random pretty buttons
- pieces of broken jewelry
- pretty little beads that you adore
- pieces of your favorite fabrics (even pieces of old clothes or blankets)
- bits of lace and pieces of old tablecloths or pillow cases that have been embroidered
- pieces of beautiful paper that you love
- random charms
- magazine clippings of beautiful things that make you happy to look at
- magazine clippings of words that describe you and make you happy
- pieces of ephemera from your life….wrappers, receipts, tags, notes and cards you have kept, things you have doodled on, quotes you have jotted down, event tickets, things on your dream list…..you get the idea…:)
- anything that is pretty, makes you happy, has texture and that you can glue down….
Note: If you are using the free printable PDF, you will need to gather more images and photos from magazines, printed off a computer, etc. as the PDF contains instructions and word/sentence sheets, but not images. The full-color workbook contains everything in the PDF plus many many pages of collage images.
SoulBook Gathering Experiences will continue through the winter. We hope you will join us!
**IMPORTANT! Free Brave Living or Brave Girls Club PDFs are for personal use ONLY, and not for resale in any form or for any price. It is strictly prohibited to use free materials in any kind of for-profit event or gathering! They are to be used in free gatherings ONLY. (It is permissible to charge a modest amount to cover the actual costs for food and art supplies if needed.) In addition, making copies by any means of the printed SoulBook materials is prohibited; they are protected by copyright laws.